- Fire Permit– Permit application for fire protection systems, fire alarm systems, flammable/combustible liquid storage tanks, fuel dispensing systems and temporary membrane structures, tents and canopies.
- For fire alarm systems utilizing a new or replacement fire alarm control panel (FACP), an application for a City of Shakopee Electrical Permit is required.
- Application for Electrical Permit - An Electrical Permit is required for the installation of a new or replacement fire alarm control panel (FACP).
- Consumer Fireworks Retail Sales Permit– Permit application for the sale of consumer fireworks.
- Fireworks Display Permit– Permit application for outdoor and indoor fireworks displays. Applicant must be a Minnesota Certified Fireworks Operator and shall provide a copy of the certification with the permit application.
- Open Burning Permit – Permit for open burning. (Permits are not required for Recreational Fires.) Open burning is regulated by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.
Please return all permit applications to: Shakopee Fire Department, 129 S. Holmes St., Shakopee, MN 55379. Questions? Call 952-233 - 9570.
Scheduling an Inspection
Inspections may be scheduled by calling 952-233-9570 at least 24 hours in advance. All appropriate
installers are required to be present for the inspection.
Copies of fire reports are available by sending a self-addressed and stamped business size envelope and $10.00 to:
Shakopee Fire Department
Attn: Fire Reports
129 Holmes St. S.
Shakopee, MN 55379
Section 4.41 – Alarm Systems
Section 4.50 – Fire Warning Systems
Section 7.08 – Obstructions, Fire, Dumping, Signs and Other Structures
Section 8.07 – Emergency Vehicle Preemption System
Section 9.02 – General Parking Prohibitions
Section 10.261 – Disorderly Conduct at Events
Section 10.27 – Falsely Reporting Fire
Section 10.29 – Open Burning
Section 10.34 – Interference with Ambulance Service
Section 10.35 – Adoption of the Minnesota State Fire Code
Section 10.351 – Adoption of the Standards of the National Fire Protection Association
Section 10.36 – Hazardous Materials
Section 10.37 – Fire or Barbeques on Balconies or Patios
Section 10.38 – Consumer Fireworks
Section 10.53 – Public Nuisance
Section 10.54 – Permitting a Public Nuisance
Section 10.74 – Storage of Junk
Section 14.03 – Park Regulations
Click here to access Shakopee’s City Code.
- Premises Identification. Address numbers are required on all industrial, commercial and residential properties.
- Keyboxes. Fire Department keyboxes are required on industrial, commercial and certain multi-family properties.
- Access Roads.Fire Department access roads are required for industrial, commercial and residential properties.
- Sprinkler Systems. Includes information on fire sprinkler systems, which are required by Chapter 1306 of the Minnesota State Building Code.
- Underground Piping. Includes requirements for the installation and testing of water mains supplying fire sprinkler systems.
- Fire Lane Signage. Fires lanes shall be provided and posted in industrial, commercial and certain multi-family properties.
- Cost Recovery Charges. Includes chargeback costs for Fire Department services and equipment.
- Pre-Fire Plans. A site plan including the building footprint, layout, utility locations and special hazards is required prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy.
- Fire Alarm Systems. Includes information on fire alarm system and fire sprinkler monitoring systems.
- Labeling Fire Rated Walls. Fire rated walls shall be labeled in industrial, commercial and certain multi-family properties.
- Tanks and Dispensing. Includes requirements for above ground (AST) and underground (UST) storage tanks for flammable and combustible liquids and requirements for dispensing.
- Temporary Membrane Structures - Tents & Canopies. Includes requirements for permit submittals and general safety information.
- Running Fires to Cultivate or Replace Native Landscapes. Requirements for the maintenance of native landscapes through the use of open burning.
- Indoor Expositions. Includes requirements for indoor expositions including craft shows, antique shows, sports shows, automobile shows, boat shows, home shows and other indoor events.
- Fire Watch for Out of Service Fire Protection Systems. A fire watch shall be provided for out-of-service fire protection and fire alarm systems.
- Consumer Fireworks Retail Sales. Includes requirements for the retail sale of consumer fireworks.
- Temporary LP Containers at Construction Sites. Requirements for location of temporary tanks and heating devises.
- General Construction Requirements. Contains condensed information from all Fire Department Policies.
- Yard Post Indicator Valves. Includes requirements for Post Indicator Valves on water service lines serving fire sprinkler systems.
- Signage Specifications. Contains details and layouts for site and building signage.
Signage Detail - on building.
Signage Detail - street and address.
- U.L. Certificate Requirements. Includes information for the completion of applications for U.L. Certified Fire Alarm Ssytems
- Duct Smoke Detectors. Includes requirements for remote test and reset stations on duct smoke detectors and fire alarm monitoring information.
- Apparatus Specifications. Includes information on length, width and turning radius of apparatus.
- Kitchen Hood Systems. Contains information regarding the installation and inspections of kitchen hood fire suppression systems.
- Fire Protection System Inspection Testing & Maintenance Records - Outlines general requirements for testing and maintenance records.